Consumer-SOS Legal Help and Consumer Advice

Contact Us 

Accidents & Injuries
Banks & Credit Unions
Cars & Motor Vehicles
Children & Parents
Credit & Debt
Crime Victims Domestic Violence
Criminal Justice&Police Misconduct
Divorce & Marriage
Food Matters

& Gov. Assistance

Health & Medical
Health Clubs


Home Matters

Mail & Postal
Money & Investments
Licensing Boards

People Search

Phone & Utilities

Public Records

Refunds, Repairs & Replacements
Scams & Cons
Support Groups
Wills, Probate & Estates 
Work/The Wk Place

Home  Texas  Landlord/Tenant


Subleasing and Assigning Your Lease To Someone Else (TX)

Where To Get Legal Or Government Assistance (Texas)
Government, nonprofit and commercial groups to help you when you're in trouble.

There are no other resources here at this time.  Please check back again later.

Back To Top



Housing Exempt From The Fair Housing Act
The Fair Housing Act covers most housing.  In some circumstances, the Act exempts owner-occupied buildings with no more than four units, single-family housing sold or rented without use of a broker and housing operated by organizations and private clubs that limit occupancy to members.  

Housing for older persons is also exempt from the prohibition against familial status discrimination if:

  ·    The HUD Secretary has determined that it is specifically designed for and occupied by elderly persons
     under a Federal, State or local government program, or  

·        It is occupied solely by persons who are 62 or older, or

·        It houses at least one person who is 55 or older in at least 80 percent of the occupied units, and
 adheres to a policy that demonstrates an intent to house persons who are 55 or older.  

Back To Top

Illegal Discrimination (In Advertising)

Discriminatory Advertising:

In Addition: It is illegal for anyone to:

Advertise or make any statement that indicates a limitation or preference based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap (disability).  This prohibition against discriminatory advertising even applies to single-family and owner-occupied housing that is otherwise exempt from the Fair Housing Act.  

Back To Top

Disabilities Defined

If you or someone associated with you:  

·       Have a physical or mental disability (including hearing, mobility and visual impairments, chronic alcoholism, chronic mental illness, AIDS, AIDS Related Complex and mental retardation) that substantially limits one or more major life activities.

·       Have a record of such a disability or

·       Are regarded as having such a disability  

Your Landlord May Not

·       Refuse to let you make reasonable modifications to your dwelling or common use areas, at your own expense, if necessary for the disabled person to use the  housing.  (Where reasonable, the landlord may permit changes only if you agree to restore the property its original condition when you move.)  

·       Refuse to make reasonable accommodations in rules, policies, practices or services if  necessary for the disabled person to use the housing.  This means a no pets policy cannot stop a visually impaired person from keeping a guide dog.  Likewise, an apartment complex that offers unassigned parking must honor a mobility impaired person's request for a reserved parking space if such can assure her access to her apartment.  

Back To Top


New Building Requirements
Buildings ready for first occupancy after March 13, 1991 and that have an elevator and four or more units must have:  

·        Public and common areas accessible to persons with disabilities.

·        Doors and hallways wide enough for wheelchairs.

·        In Addition All Units Must Have:

1.  An accessible route into and through the unit.

2.  Accessible light switches, electrical outlets, thermostats   and other environmental controls.

3.  Reinforced bathroom walls to allow later installation of grab bars.

4.  Kitchens and bathrooms that can be used by people in wheelchairs.

    These standards also apply to the ground floor units of buildings built after March 13, 1991 that have four or more units but no elevator.  

Back To Top

Procedures And Penalties For Violations
If after investigating your complaint, HUD finds reasonable cause to believe that discrimination occurred, it will inform you.  Your case will be heard in an administrative hearing within 120 days, unless you or the respondent want the case heard in Federal district court.  Either way there is no cost to you.  

If your case goes to an administrative hearing, HUD attorneys will present the case on your behalf.  You may intervene in the case and be represented by your own attorney if you wish.  An administrative law judge (ALJ) will consider evidence from you and the respondent.  If the ALJ decides that discrimination occurred, the respondent can be ordered to:  

Compensate you for actual damages, including humiliation and pain and suffering.

Provide injunctive or other equitable relief, for example, to make the housing available to you.

Pay the Federal Government a civil penalty to vindicate the public interest-maximum penalties are $10,000 for the first violation and $50,000 for a third violation within 7 years.

Pay reasonable attorney's fees and costs.  

Back To Top

Filing A Lawsuit

If you or the respondent choose to have your case in Federal District Court, the Attorney General will file a suit and litigate it on your behalf.  Like the ALJ, the District Court can order relief, and award actual damages, attorney's fees and costs.  In addition the court can also award punitive damages.  Consult a lawyer for details.  

You may also file a suit at your own expense in federal or state court within two years of an alleged violation.  You can sue even if you have already filed a complaint provided you have not signed a conciliation agreement and the Administrative Law Judge has not started a hearing.

Back To Top